The Gourma Water Agency held on Tuesday, December 03, 2019 in the meeting room of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Koupela, the workshop launching the process of setting up the Local Committee of the Water (CLE) Sirba upstream within the framework of the project “Strengthening the capacities of the Gourma and Liptako Water Agencies and CLEs for a rational, concerted and sustainable management of water resources”. This project is funded by the European Union and implemented by the consortium composed of WaterAid, Water, Development and Environment Association and Gourma and Liptako Water Agencies.
The workshop was chaired by the Governor of the Central East Region, represented by his Secretary General. He had the participation of the Governor of the North Central Region; High Commissioners of the provinces of Namentenga and Ganzourgou; the Prefect of the Department of Koupela, representing the High Commissioner of Kouritenga Province; Territorial Communities and Water Users in the CLE area.
It was during this workshop to present the project to the participants, to outline the main lines of implementation of the CLE, to present the approach based on human rights and to seek the support of the actors of the CLE space.
At the end of the workshop, four (04) strong recommendations were made by the participants for the viability of the future CLE to be put in place:
- At the place of the municipalities in the CLE’s area of competence:
- include in the annual budgets a financial support for CLE
- At the location of the General Directorate of the Gourma Water Agency:
- Continue to raise the awareness of stakeholders in the CLE’s area of competence
- Involve women in the process of setting up CLEs and ensure that they are taken into account in CLE bodies
- Adapt communication tools to local actors.